Child maltreatment hurts children, families, and communities.
• There are four categories of abuse: physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect
• Children under age 1 are at the greatest risk of abuse
• More than 700,000 children were victims of child abuse and neglect in 2014
• 5 children in America die every day from child abuse and neglect
• Child abuse can impact brain development and has life-long impacts on health and mental health
• Child maltreatment has staggering economic costs - the CDC estimates just 1 year of confirmed cases creates approximately $124 billion in lifetime total costs
• Child abuse can be prevented - family and community supports can prevent abuse, lessen the impact of abuse, and stop abuse from happening again